Pet Health Certificate - USDA Veterinary Services Castle Pines

Health Certificates

Pet Health Certificates in Castle Pines, CO

We are pleased to assist with your upcoming travel plans and submitting the appropriate paperwork to the USDA.  Please know that international travel can be complex and ideally you should begin the process two months in advance.  Also, please keep in mind that countries can change requirements suddenly.

Some countries require vaccinations within 30 days of travel for example.  Others have requirements where paperwork has to be submitted 30 days prior to travel. International travel will require two veterinary visits.  The first to do the exam and review all travel requirements with you and make sure we are all on the same page.  The second to produce the necessary paperwork, verify that all the international requirements have been met and provide final vaccinations if necessary.

Travel within the United States require one veterinary visit.

If you are moving overseas, we highly recommend utilizing a company that specializes in pet relocation and international travel. It is also a good idea if you are just traveling abroad.  The USDA also has a great website to help you with your travel plans. The link is .

The following checklist will help you prepare what we will need to fill out your health certificate. Information provided in advance will help us expedite the process and ensure your paperwork is correct.

General Checklist

Information we need to know before completing your pet’s international health certificate:

  • Where is your pet going (destination country)?
  • If you are traveling to the European Union, Norway, or Switzerland, who will be traveling with the pet?
    • The owner
    • A person authorized by the owner
    • No one
      • What type of health certificate is required?
        • A country-specific health certificate
        • A generic pet certificate (ex. APHIS 7001)
      • Is a microchip required?
        • Yes or No
      • If yes, is a specific type of microchip required
        • Yes or No
      • What vaccines does your destination country require?
        • When must the vaccines be given?
      • Are any laboratory tests required by your destination country?
        • Yes or No
      • If yes, what tests are required and when must these samples be collected? (Note: The sample MUST be collected within the testing timeframe required by your destination country.  Some tests may take a long time for the results to be returned and/or some countries require a waiting period after testing and before entry into the destination country.)
      • Are any treatments required by your destination country?
        • Yes or No
      • If yes, what treatments and when must they be given?
      • When must a physical exam of the pet(s) be performed prior to travel?
      • If you intend to bring your pet back into the U.S., there may be certain re-entry requirements, depending on where you traveled.  You should plan for them now.  See the pet import section for details.
        • A pet transport company is transporting the pet
        • What is the address in the destination country where your pet will be staying?
        • What date is your pet leaving the United States? (if applicable)
        • When are you and your pet arriving in the destination country? (if applicable)
        • What type of pet will be travelling?
          • Dog
          • Cat
        • You must have rabies vaccinations documented on the health certificate.  These vaccination certificates will be required by the USDA at the time of health certificate endorsement. Our clinic will produce certificate. If the rabies vaccine was administered elsewhere, we will need the following from the performing clinic:
          • Manufacturer
          • Lot #
          • Expiration Date
          • Date Administered
          • Three Year or 1 Year Vaccine


        Additional Questions

        For some countries additional questions may also need to be answered. Additionally, your airlines or other means of travel may have specific requirements. Please consult the APHIS pet travel website (see link above) for this information. Below are additional questions your country of destination may require.

      After your health certificate has been completed, signed, and dated by us, most countries require that international health certificates be submitted to a USDA APHIS Veterinary Services office for endorsement.  Some offices may offer to review health certificates prior to submission.  We will submit that paperwork to the USDA on your behalf.

      Please contact us if you have any further questions.